A Look Back: Mirion Connect 2022
In August 2022, Mirion customers joined our product experts at the Westin Boston Seaport District in Boston, Massachusetts for our annual users’ conference: Mirion Connect. Each year, Mirion hosts this dynamic forum for participants to exchange information on the latest innovations and technology impacting their industries. The event also gives attendees the opportunity to enhance their skills through hands-on training and breakout sessions with Mirion experts.
As many of our product users have built close relationships with Mirion staff over the years, the event feels like a family reunion for many who attend. This year, we were thrilled to see a number of first-time attendees in Boston to lend their voices to the conversation.
A Mix of Fun and Learning
Those who arrived early in the week had the chance to take part in our Golf Outing at George Wright Golf Course. This fun and relaxing event was followed by two days of intensive training seminars covering a range of topics, from Alpha and Gamma Spectroscopy Fundamentals to PRD Field Tactics for Emergency Response and Homeland Security.
Mirion is proud to offer these educational seminars, with new topics added every year to help ensure our customers’ continued success in their fields. It is also a wonderful opportunity for attendees to build Continuing Education Credits (CECs).
By Tuesday evening, Mirion Connect was in full swing. Everyone gathered on the lawn for a dazzling welcome reception, complete with circus performers, live music and an array of games and conversation spaces. Attendees and Mirion staff reconnected with colleagues and made new connections over a cocktail or a game of cornhole.
The Official Kick-Off
The Wednesday general session marked the official kick-off of Mirion Connect, starting with opening remarks from James Cocks (CPO) and Thomas Logan (CEO).
Thomas Logan spoke about the Mirion mission: To harness our unrivaled knowledge of ionizing radiation for the greater good of humanity. He explained that this is not an empty statement, but the lens through which we make decisions, as well as what motivates our hearts and souls.
Perhaps most notably, he stated that the Mirion history of success is more our customers’ story than it is our story; that our success and longevity have been built on partnerships and working together with our customers to find solutions to the problems we face.
These words were a fitting introduction to the collaborative event, which continued with presentations:
- Technology and Talent: The Synergistic Combination to Secure Our Nation, presented by Capt. Bobby Baker, Jr. (Dallas Fire and Rescue Department, Retired)
- The Dark Cube: Hunting for Lost Nazi Uranium, presented by Dr. Timothy Koeth (Nuclear Reactor and Radiation Facilities, Former Director)
Thursday’s general session included several fascinating presentations from our speakers:
- Modernization of a Nuclear Power Plant, the struggles, and the triumphs!, presented by Jonah Morgan (South Texas Project Nuclear Operating Company)
- What Is It, Where Did It Come From, and Why Do We Care? A Snapshot of Process Monitoring Efforts at ORNL, presented by Mike Whittenbarger and Doug Van Cleef (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
- Overview of Laboratory Analysis Operations in the Nuclear Incident Response, Sean Fournier (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory)
- Radiation Detection and Measurement in the Emerging Nuclear Fuel Cycle, presented by Jeff Chapman (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
- High Gamma X-ray Coincident Spectroscopy, presented by Dr. Bruce D. Pierson (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory)
We are grateful to all of our speakers for sharing their unique industry perspectives with our attendees!
Demo Room Highlights
A main draw at every Mirion Connect is the Demo Room, a large hall where all the latest Mirion technologies are available for evaluation and demonstration. Between breakout sessions, attendees were welcome to circulate the room and speak with our experts about applications, service offerings, product use and function, and maintenance of equipment.
Some of this year’s demo room highlights:
- Lynx® II DSA – The next evolution of our premium MCA delivering stronger cybersecurity protocols, faster communication, and simplified connectivity to count room setups
- AccuRad™ Simulator Kits – Sourceless training kits for the AccuRad™ PRD enabling realistic but safe radiation or nuclear detection and response training
- Upcoming Release of Genie™ Spectroscopy Software – The latest iteration of our spectroscopy software with improvements to algorithms and functionality
As always, our blue-branded Spot robot, Astro, stole the show – not only with its dance moves but how it integrates Mirion detection and measurement devices to enable safe radiation and chemical detection for military, nuclear power and CBRN applications.
Thank you to our valued customers, speakers, vendors and partners who joined us at this year’s Mirion Connect. We look forward to welcoming you back next time to continue our tradition of education, collaboration and innovation – together.
Save the date for Mirion Connect 2023 to be held at the Gaylord National, National Harbor, MD – July 17-21.